Website The British Psychological Society
The BPS is the professional body and learned society for psychologists, those studying psychology, working in psychological roles and/or interested in psychology. The BPS is a registered charity. It exists for the advancement of psychology which is articulated in its Charter and Statutes but it defines its purpose as “an inclusive and member-centred organisation, there for our diverse membership, who we support at every stage of their career. We will work collectively to advance evidence-based psychological knowledge, pure and applied, through education, research, practice and innovation. We will prioritise the society’s resources to deliver influential, effective and impactful outcomes for our members, the people they support and wider society beyond our membership’.
Our vision and values
Our vision: To promote inclusivity and diversity and to be the voice of contemporary evidence-based psychology that improves lives and changes humanity for the greater good.
Our values: –
- We are inclusive
- We work with integrity
- We are respectful
- We are collaborative
- We are impactful
Over the past three years the society has been through a significant and hugely disruptive transformation, including the implementation of a new CRM, finance and digital communications systems, along with a series of strategic initiatives. Simultaneously, the society, its staff and members lived through a global pandemic and quickly adopted to remote/hybrid working, utilising digital technologies and is now operating in extremely challenging economic times and a pandemic recovery. The society continues to be challenged at a time when it has aspirations to grow and become more sustainable.
We are looking for a head of department for two teams for a 9 month period to continue to manage a membership and customer services team of c.10 staff with one manager and one team leader, and a CPD team, with one manager, two project leads and two operations staff, the two teams work across:
- Membership – application processing, payment queries (and continuing the ongoing implementation of the new CRM)
- Customer Support – inbound emails, live chat and phones (including implementation of a new telephone system)
- The implementation of the grades structure
- The introduction of a new member benefits package
- Continuing professional development – product design, develop, optimisation and go to market strategies and to continue to grow commercial revenues for the BPS Learning Centre and BPS Learn (The society’s Virtual Learning Environment)
We are looking for someone to continue the work of the existing manager who leaves in a few months, to drive a strong and robust commercial agenda to work to deliver on a stretch budget in difficult economic times and also where there is revenue challenges arising from systems implementation. There is a lot of work underway and a huge amount to do so it’s a huge opportunity.
A strong working knowledge of innovation development and delivery of products and services for members, students, academics and the public is essential, along with the ability to deliver in an agile way using digital technology to underpin and support growth, speed to market and reach. Key to the role is ensuring growth is sustainable through strong performance management, driving of efficiency, agility and overall effectiveness while building and maintaining positive working relationships with key stakeholders.
We are looking for the following demonstrable experience and attributes:
- a team player who can work across the society, is quick to build relationships – in particular with finance, IT, data, marketing and communications,
- an analytical mind-set capable of providing relevant and timely information to senior leaders
- the ability to monitor and manage workloads to prioritise tasks during a time of significant change
- business improvement including improving the P&L effectiveness of a business area, while contributing to the overall performance of the organisation
- operational leadership that drives performance, agility and improves the perception of the society and delivers better value for money for its members and subscribers
- delivering an excellent member and customer services experience using segmentation strategies to ensure a high value member proposition
- product, service and market diversification strategies to deliver new sustainable commercial revenue and growth and shift reliance away from old and existing revenue lines and de-risk the organisation
- strong commercial acumen
- is a people leader, who inspires, motivates is energetic and drives a complex and diverse portfolio of work
How to apply
To apply, please send a covering letter and CV to email@example.com.